Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

JohnPaul
Hi Massimo

I read you are planning a driver for the new Backlight Information Panel. I already have 2x radios, 1xswitch and multi panels all working perfectly through SPAD. I was just wondering when you expected to have this complete, just a rough estimate as I am itching to buy the BIP but I mostly use fs9 and am worried it is not going to be compatible! Also I am trying to find out if the BIP has an 'APU RUN or On' function/light included have you (or any other users) had a chance to take a look at the panel, I have looked at the manuals on the saitek site but they only mention 50 individual functions not what they actually are.

Many thanks for your work so far...

John Paul

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi John,
I'm not a professional coder, I develop SPAD for fun in my free time.
It's very hard to say when next version will be released, it all depends on my job, my family and, obviously, my mood .

Speaking about the BIP: I haven't received mine yet, so I really don't know if an APU label is included or not. Anyway I assume that you can "build" one by yourself.

The real problem is software wise.
First of all I fear that BIP will only work completely with default and Special Mode aware aircrafts.
At the moment I can't figure out a way to let the user customize BIP's behaviour.
You'll be able to select the function for each light from a list of available features, but if a specific feature is not supported by your aircraft I think there's not much more to do.

About FS9: SPAD is FSUIPC based, so as long Pete Dowson will continue to support it there is no problem.
Only consider that for me FS9 is definetely outdated. So it will be hard to see any Special Mode for FS9 aicrafts.

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

JohnPaul
Hi Massimo,

Thanks for your reply

John paul

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Stephane
Hi,

Can we use SPAD to make the Saitek BIP compatible with the defaut aircraft in FS9?  If yes, how to do it?

PS:  The SPAD software is awesome, Saitek should have rewarded you with more Saitek products!!!!

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

gr8guitar
It does NOT work for FS2004/FS9 even though 2 websites report that it does (http://www.saitek.com/uk/blog/?p=40 and http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=18530&cat=253&page=2). Based on these two websites, I bought it. I first installed it on a Windows XP Media Center with a registered version of FSUIPC (3.998u) and on a Windows XP Pro with no success. I then purchased FSX and FSUIPC4 and then it worked. The ProFlightPlugin.exe does NOT stay running when using FS2004/FS9. Apparently it can NOT detect FS2004/FS9 running. It's disappointing because even Saitek's website said it would.

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi guys,
SPAD v0.5 is out with BIP Support.
Not tested but it should work with FS9 too.

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

brujo02
Thank you so much Massimo, I've been waiting for this since I bought the BIP console. I appreciate it in its real value. Works just great.

Manuel L. Fonseca Urbano
Tel. 659-922-998

El 14/07/2012, a las 15:08, "maxx [via SPAD]" <[hidden email]> escribió:

Hi guys,
SPAD v0.5 is out with BIP Support.
Not tested but it should work with FS9 too.

Ciao,
Massimo

http://spad.189988.n3.nabble.com/Saitek-BIP-Backlight-Information-Panel-tp3261748p4024881.html
To start a new topic under SPAD, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from SPAD, click here.
NAML

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi Manuel,
I'm glad you like it.

Please consider that this is the very first release with BIP support.
Any suggestions, comments, and features requests are very welcome !!

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Tinamus
hi Massimo..

hi, i've got the bip panel and i don't know how to make it works for fs9...i read you solved by using SPAD 0.5, i downloaded it, then i lounched the exe file and i saw all lights of bip panel turned on for few seconds, but the panel is off with fs9 running...may you help me please? thx a lot.

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Tinamus
ok,solved, thx for your work, awesome !!!!

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi Tinamus,
let me guess. You forgot to set the tiles. Am I right ?

Please, can you provide feedback of the BIP on FS9 ? Does it works right for you ?

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Tinamus
This post was updated on .
Yes sorry, i had problem to run bip panel on fs9 till yesterday  :)
thx to you awesome work now i can draft fsx(too bad perfomance on my strongly system) and have a nice fly by using only the best fs9 !!!

BIP panel now works perfectly with spad drivers, it' very simple to configure, it's look like saitek configuration panel, and works very very well.

Thx again Massimo.

P.S.
Sono italiano, credo che lo sia anche tu, ti ringrazio davvero tanto grazie al tuo lavoro posso usare finalmente il bip panel con fs9, era l'unico scoglio che mi impediva di buttare nel cesso fsx e tutti i suoi problemi di configurazione che fs9 non ha....

P.P.S.
PAY ATTEMPTION !!!!
TODAY BIP PANEL DOESNT' WORKS AGAIN...STRANGE, AT THE END THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT WORKS FINE YOU MUST RUN FIRST ProFlightPlugin.exe USUALLY LOCATED ON C:\Program Files (x86)\Saitek\ProFlightPlugin

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Orangina
Hi,

Very interested if it can work with FS9 and "how completely".

Let us know how it's going

Orangina

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi Orangina,
after a few years I reinstalled FS9 just to check BIP compatibility...

Well... it works.
There are a few problems with some tiles requiring FSX specific FSUIPC offsets indeed.
For example the FUEL LOW tile is coded using offset 1240 (total fuel capacity) and offset 1264 (total fuel quantity.
These offset are FSX specific and there's no FS9 equivalent.
So FUEL LOW doesn't work, but CENTRE/RIGHT/LEFT FUEL low work.

Engines, gear, navigation, lights, and radio-audio tiles all seem ok.
So, all in all I can say that FS9 is supported.

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

Orangina
Excellent news. I just have to find 120€ to buy a BIP, now I know I wll be able to use it with FS9.

Thanks

Orangina

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

stephane130281
Hi Maxx,

I was about to sell my BIP because I still use FS9 for several reasons.  I was just finishing the negociation with the guy who wanted to buy it...meanwhile, I decided to check Saitek's website, just in case....and I saw the message on their forum saying that the last version of SPAD is allowing a full compatibility of the BIP panel with FS9!  And guess what?  I did not sell my BIP and now I use it with FS9 because you make it happens!!

I'd like to thank you very much for your hard work which should be rewarded by the users (us) and especially Saitek!
God bless you :)

Stephane

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi Stephane,
I'm glad you like my little program !
But let me say: we are living the 13rd year in third millennium.
It's really time to go over and pass to a new simulator.

Microsoft does not seem willing to give us FS11 (but at least the crap MS Flight is dead ),
and I cannot stand the visual aspect of X-Plane and even his flight models.

Prepar3d really seems the way to go. At least in my opinion.
When LM will release a native 64-bit we'll be okay for a few decades.

But.... maybe these thoughts should be posted somewhere else. This is the mother of all off-topics !!

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

jaspar
thanks ive been waiting for ages for a decent driver for my BIP panel. installed and all my panels working correctly for the first time ever.

if i could sugest a few more aditions for tiles please
i fly the skysim Bae Hawk as my simpit and most of the saitek tiles are used in this aircraft but a few are missing hich if you could include in a future update i would be gratfull all the sugested lights are avilible using the FSUIPC FS comands dropdown box so have FSUIPC offsets .

JET STARTER
SPOILER OUT
FLAPS IN
FLAPS OUT
FLAPS 1
FLAPS2
FLAPS3
PARKING BRAKE SET

also i notice that you have MASTER WARNING and MASTER CAUTION lights the Bae hawk also has these on the 3D cockpit but they dont work on your BIP any clue as to why that maybe and how i could get these working too.

thanks for a great program

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maxx
Administrator
Hi Jaspar,
yes, I'll consider to include the tiles you requested in a future release.

The fact that there is an "Action" available in FSUIPC does not necessarily mean that the offset to read the related data exists.
In FSUIPC documentation there's a file called "FSUIPC4 Offset Status.pdf", if you want to help search through the document for the offsets that could be useful for the tiles you requested.

The parking brake tile is already available.

The MASTER WARNING and CAUTION are not supported by FS, so there's no FSUIPC offset to read these conditions.
What the addon developers do is to place some code behind the gauge to "calculate" the conditions to turn those lights on and off.
It's practically impossible to reproduce the correct behaviour inside SPAD, simply because I don't know the code behind the gauges, and even knowing the code I should implement specific functions for virtually any aircraft.
The situation is obviously different for aircrafts "readable" through an SDK, like PMDG NGX or LevelD 767.

Ciao,
Massimo

Re: Saitek BIP: Backlight Information Panel

maikchaos
Hi massimo,

at first my great respect for SPAD, it works perfect so please keep up your good work.

I searched the FSUIPC SDK and found something

0BD4  4  Spoiler Left position indicator (0-16383)
0BD8  4  Spoiler Right position indicator (0-16383)
0BE0  4  Flaps position indicator (left).
0BE4  4  Flaps position indicator (right).
"Flaps -->This gives the proportional  amount, with 16383=full deflection. It doesn‘t correspond to the
equally spaced notches used for the control lever. If you know the maximum deflection angle you can derive the current angle by ((max * position indicator) / 16383)."

You see, It looks a bit complicated with the flaps, there are no definitiv positions for the different "notches". Up and down seems like is no problem.

One different thing, spend not too much time on "FSUIPC offset Change", we we can simply use the "FSUIPC virtual button" option, then send the button to FSUIPC and set the "Offset Byte Set".

Regards Maik