New Guy Question or request

Need-To-Know
Hello,

So I just ordered a full set of panels and researching before they arrive. Pete Dowson directed me here for nice fsx setups.

Impressive info from what I have read and going to set this up when the panels arrive. So BIG THANKS!!! in advance. :)

So maybe asked here before. Since you guys seem to have a handle on these panels maybe you know.

Would there ever be a way to use these panels in another sim like DCS -A10?

Re: New Guy Question or request

Need-To-Know
Guess not

Re: New Guy Question or request

SameOldStory
I have to assume that you checked out the DCS website before you ordered over a thousand dollars worth of Saitek-MadCatz instrument panels.

Did you find any indication of their interest in creating Saitek instrument panel drivers?

Another direction would be to make a request of Saitek-MadCatz to develop drivers for the DCS software.

If all else fails you might want to develop it yourself. Some money might be made by an intelligent person willing to learn a little programming.

If you do go that route, please, keep us informed.

Good luck.

Re: New Guy Question or request

Need-To-Know
Thanks for responding,

Yeah I did not check the DCS site before hand. But I bought the panels for FSX and just thought it would be neat if they did work in my A10. But not a huge deal.

Funny - I am actually a programmer in real life but I made myself a deal (and it is hard to keep sometime) that I would not start down the road of working on FSX or DCS for that matter, so I can just have time to enjoy and relax away from work.

I did post on the DCS site and several others did too. Good idea about contacting the Saitek developers.

Thanks again for answering. And like I said almost every time I use a program like SPAD I get ready to write to the developer and ask to join in. But I am a very OCD person and would let it take over my free time and not just have a relaxing hobby. It has ruined several hobbies of mine in the past with total burn out.

Happy Holidays my friend!

Re: New Guy Question or request

SameOldStory
One thing that tics me off about Saitek/MadCatz is that once something is out the door they no longer seem to continue working on their software.

My guess is that they don’t have full time programmers (or even product developers), but instead farm it out until it (the software) works reasonably well. Hell, Saitek/MadCatz probably doesn’t have more than a couple of people actually working on ordering/warehousing/shipping their products.

If it wasn’t for SPAD and FSUIPC  I probably would have lost interest.

For what it’s worth, I also have X-Plane 10, and some people have created plugins (X-Plane speak for drivers) that will work for the Saitek panels. So I guess that it could be done for some of the other games/sims.

Re: New Guy Question or request

DanW
DCS Supports Lua scripting, but in a different way to FSX and FSUPIC. There is no FSUIPC equivalent.

You can see some people have done it with their touch screens, TouchBuddy and products such as that mimic the cockpit of the Ka-50 or A-10C and you can push buttons and link them up. These are done by putting a Lua import/export script into DCS, and also by the GUI Exe.

But since the Saitek panels are not "joysticks" as such, you would also need to probably do some driver programming instead of a touch screen GUI. If Massimmo shared with you hints on how to do that, you could program them to work in DCS.

What we really need is a directx version of SPAD, that allows virtual joysticks without FSX running. But it's a free product so we can't demand all this..

Re: New Guy Question or request

RickSinGA
Tom has many great quality gauges at this location.

http://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/

Rick S.

Re: New Guy Question or request

56RAF_Dutch
Hi guys,

I had the same question to begin with and went further in my quest after reading this forum post.
Just a few days ago I found a script on the DCS forum that was created by some guy named RAF (not me :-).
I works fine and you can predefine keyboard combinations to be returned when a switch is used.
I use it in Cliffs of Dover and DCS P51 and works like a charm.
I had to modify the java script for the Panel light switch to work but that is also working now.
So go to:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1924112

if you are still interested in using the Saitek Switch panel with other flight sims :-)
The last page in that forum post contains the modified script I made.
Just unzip it, make sure you have only the Java JRE installed and execute the stuff from the readme file in the "to_install" folder.
The keys.properties file can be modified to suite your needs.

grtz,

56RAF_Dutch

Re: New Guy Question or request

Need-To-Know