Quantcast

FS9 and FSX on the same computer

chris Vandevelde
Hi,
I have just downloaded your latest SPAD version. But before I will install this program I want to be sure that I don't upset things that are working well at present.
I have both FS9 and FSX installed on one computer. I have both the Radio Panel and the Multi Panel installed.
In FSX I am "quite" satisfied with the panels functioning. Sofar it did not freeze, although the AP on/off is unreliable, but I can fly small aircraft much more realistically with the trim wheel. In fact I switched to flying FSX again much more often.
In FS9 I experience everyone elses serious problems. If I dare use the AP both panels freeze on me.

Now, if I bring in SPAD, what will happen? Your manual mentions FS9 "OR" FSX, not "AND".
Please let me know, so I can go ahead and make the panels work in FS9.

(why two FS's? ......in FS9 there are many more sceneries available, individuals making their own scenery from their hometown airport (like mine: EBDT), and flying on the internet at FL320 real good scenery only matters on landing. So for airliners and IVAO I use FS9, but VFR is much better in FSX, and fancy scenery is bad for framerates anyway. So I need two FS's!!)

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

maxx
Administrator
Hi Chris,
first of all there's no problem with FSX and/or FS9.
Almost any guy who I fly with use both FS9 and FSX on the same PC, obviously me too.
I fly on Ivao too. VFR with FSX (http://flightschool.flightsimulatorx.it), IFR with Both (http://www.aeroservice-va.it) but my Tornado needs FS9  (http://www.50stormovirtual.eu).

Spad is based on FSUIPC and it work on both FS9 and FSX, so you don't have to worry about which version is needed. Simply run Spad first and then the Simulator you prefer. Nothing more.

You only have to take care about NOT running both driver at the same time (i mean Saitek driver and Spad driver). This is not trivial because Saitek driver is loaded automatically by FSX.
So, to be sure, you'd better uninstall Saitek driver before trying Spad.

Remember:
- You need FSUIPC both for FSX and FS9
- If you run Windows Vista or Windows Seven disable the UAC (User account control) or run Spad as Administrator

Enjoy....

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

chris Vandevelde
Hi Massimo,

I became impatient..... and installed SPAD anyway. Who can blame me!!
I have just been using SPAD in FS9 around the default Tacoma airport. Almost everything works well, although it took me some time getting used to the sensitivity of the radio dials, but since the decimal adds up when reaching 0.9 or even 0.99 it does not matter.
I do have one problem: I cannot switch between frequencies.
Also the trimwheel takes a lot of turning, on the one hand not so bad. I flew an old Beech 18 into one of the Seattle airfields with unmatched precision. I'll have to find out what happens when I fly the B707. Does the slider in the SPAD window influence the trim action?
I wondered about double installation, I wrote something on the Saitek forum. I'l take up your suggestion and remove the Saitek driver. My experience at Seattle has given me confidence.
May I compliment you on your expertise in these matters, but even more so on your commitment to the FS community. You will be remembered by very many of our pilots. Also I must compliment you on your command of the English language, your intsructions and comments are very clear.

By the way: on IVAO I fly with the Belgian (Flemish!) 27SQN, the "wildcats", our initials WCT. I am WCT68. I often "come" to Italy, you have very dedicated and friendly ATCers. Send me a chat message if you see me!

regards,

chris van de velde

View message @ http://n3.nabble.com/FS9-and-FSX-on-the-same-computer-tp196781p196846.html
To unsubscribe from FS9 and FSX on the same computer, click here.

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

chris Vandevelde
My experiences with SPAD after a flight in FSX:
Only one serious problem remains: I cannot use the standby switches on the Nav's and Com's, I have to help out with the mouse.
Just some comments about the trim wheel.
My first post to the Saitek forum was my problem with the trim wheel, it worked in reverse. I soon found out that I needed to check reverse action in FSUIPC.
This option was still checked (both in FS9 and FSX) when I loaded SPAD. Then the trim wheel did not function. After I unchecked the reverse action in FSUIPC the trim wheel did and does work. The response is slower than before and if I moved the wheel too fast, it actually stopped. I found that by slower input the changes go faster. Again patience!! From the other thread I understand that I can improve the response by increasing the acceleration. I will do so.
After working with the radio dials I find the sensitivity problem has gone, it is perfectly possible to select any frequency as fast as necessary, no problem in IVAO I should think. It does take a long time with the altitude setting when flying at FL310, but even there, in IVAO they make you descend/climb in steps anyway.
For the first time since my Saitek purchase the panels work!! Thanks to you.

Will you please comment on the standby switch? Prego?

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

maxx
Administrator
Hi Chris,
the radio switch problem is strage, for all other guys it works well, so, please let me know which aircraft you have tried.
Another try is to temporary remove the FSUIPC.ini file, simply move it to another folder.
This way you can try what happens with completely default FSUIPC settings.
To be honest I still haven't complete extensive test with FSX, many features "should" works but the testing phase is not over (do you remember my advice in the manual and  on the site )

Trim wheel has 2 settings. Sensitivity and acceleration.
The less sensitivity the higher moving speed.
Saitek driver behave like Spad set with minimunm sensitivity.
Increasing sensitivity reduce the step any mechanical wheel tick "move" the FS trim value. The speed is slower but you are able to set trim with much more precision.
Is only your choice.

If you move the wheel very fast you loose many ticks. This is a hardware limitation, there's no possibile fix for it. This is the main reason for acceleration routine.
Try using the trim with a high acceleration (80-85)  and medium sensitivity, you should feel fine.
To  obtain good acceleration response try to move the wheel with long movement, non fast movement.
The wheel istantaneous speed is on the user interface. It's the little number on the bottom of the wheel.
Make some try watching user interface, you shound understand immediately how in works.

Same thing for altitude.
If you fly IFR on high FL you'd better set a high acceleration for altitude (70-80).
I'm able to pass from 5000ft to FL310 with only 3-4 turns of the wheel. Really fast to me....

So, let me know which aircraft you are trying, play around with acceleration and sensitivity, be patient for 0.3 release which will include a better acceleration routine.

Ciao,

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

chris Vandevelde
Update info on Panel behaviour

The Saitek icon in the bottom menue bar has disappeared and the standby switch now works correctly.
The two airplanes in the same bar probably occurred because of being impatient and loading SPAD twice.

Probably the Saitek drivers still had some influence, only after restarting the computer did I loose the icon.
So, on my system at least, it was essential that the Saitek drivers were totally removed.

I'll use this forum to keep you updated if anything is still not working as expected.

Thanks again.

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

maxx
Administrator
Oh yes !! I forgot to tell you to strictly avoid to load both driver at same time (Saitek and mine).
In any case you don't need to uninstall the Saitek driver (who knows  )

With FS9 is trivial, simply don't load the one you don't need.
With FSX read here: http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=18195&page=4  Richard explains well what to do.
Ciao,

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

chris Vandevelde
Hi Massimo,

You are probably overloaded right now, being a key figure for the Saitek Panels. So, sorry for taking up your time.

I have a question: I was so satisfied with my Radio and Multi panels that I went and bought the Switch panel too.
Here I will have problems; I use multi engines planes with separate alternators/generators. Can this function be eliminated? Otherwise I wuill need to use the panel only for single engine planes. A pitty.

Can you let me know.

chris van de velde
Herselt Belgium

Re: FS9 and FSX on the same computer

maxx
Administrator
Hi Chris,
what do you mean with: Can this function be eliminated ?
If you want you can simply disable those switches setting "none" on the Setup window.
Otherwise you can use those switches for other functions.
For example, flying the Maddog I use the Start selector for engine ignition control (the start selector is quite similar to the MD-80 engine ingnition one).

Ciao,
Massimo